It was another early morning with a short walk to get coffee that was consumed along with french toast made by mom. Shortly after breakfast, I went on a walk with my mom, sis-in-law, and her and my brother's two dogs. 

We stopped at a farmer's market a few streets down where we purchased homemade popsicles. I chose the strawberry mojito flavor and felt like a little kid on the walk back to our cottage, the melted popsicle turning my lips bright red, thankful for a treat to provide some relief from the warm sun and Georgia humidity.

Sometime around 10 we drove a few miles down the road to Tybee Jet Ski & Watersports to rent kayaks. Mom and dad rode tandem, as did the sis-in-law and I. Brother rode solo. Life vests on and instructions given, we set out to Cockspur Island Lighthouse. The lighthouse is usually covered by high tide, but at that time of day we were able to walk the small bit of land comprised of oyster shells and marsh grass.


The weather was perfect, just a bit of wind, but not too much that made the trip difficult. We set out for another beach and saw dolphins as we paddled our way. Bro tried to get video on his GoPro since none of us had our phones to take pictures. We squealed with excitement.

For three hours we kayaked, explored the lighthouse and beach, hunted for sea shells and ended the excursion near the docks where the dolphins (one a momma and it's baby!) were enjoying a free meal--fish remains dumped out by a fisherman's boat. The dolphins came within just a few feet of us. Mom and dad came the closest, as their kayak was flipped over by one. A dolphin touched mom's leg as she was getting back into the kayak. Now mom and dad can say they've swam with dolphins.

Those three hours were a blast and my favorite part of the trip. It was my first time seeing dolphins up close.

The evening was also eventful. After coming home and showering, we drove to Savannah where we stopped at The Paris Market before walking down River Street where we got pecan pralines from Savannah's Candy Kitchen. We ate our goodies while waiting for a Ghosts & Gravestones tour to begin. The tour started shortly before sunset and consisted of a trolley ride through town with a few stops along the way. There were a lot of theatrics, but the actual history was fascinating, like how Savannah was built on Native American burial grounds and other stories of death and violent events--from slavery, epidemics, hurricanes, and the like. 

Minutes after our trolley ride, it started to downpour. On the drive home, we stopped at Target, where I started to realize just how much my foot was starting to swell and blister. (Apparently I only put sunblock on one foot while kayaking.) A thunderstorm followed us on our way back to Tybee Island. Lightning struck above the ocean as we crossed the main bridge. At one point, the sky lit up green. I'd never seen anything like it. (It looked something like the first three seconds of this video.) Seeing that bright green sky above the vast ocean was my second favorite thing that happened that day.